The Dragon Marked

Wrens first Steps

Wren gets a cat!

GMSeppy: It’s a new, frosty winter morning in the westwood. Wren has been out hunting for meals for the next week or two and managed to bring down a buck last night and prep it for taking back to his grandfather in the hope of being allowed to sleep in the house for a few days. He’s asleep in his meager campsite wrapped in his cloak and a sad little blanket.
[7:04pm] Wren: …
[7:05pm] GMSeppy: A nearby breaking branch awakens Wren.
[7:06pm] • Wren snaps his eyes open, diving for the cover of a nearby rock
[7:07pm] • Wren peers carefully over the rock, across the campsite clearing and into the darkness beyond
[7:08pm] GMSeppy: After Wren dives behind the rock there is a rustle of bushes nearby his camp and then a young wide-eyed boy gingerly steps out into the pre-dawn light. He looks around and spots the blankets.
[7:08pm] GMSeppy: “Uh…W-Wren?”
[7:08pm] • Wren growls
[7:08pm] Wren: “Yes, what is it? I was dreaming about a princess y’know….”
[7:09pm] GMSeppy: (you recognise him. A younger cousin."
[7:10pm] GMSeppy: “Ahaha, good one Wren.” He laughs nervously. “Grandfather told me to come find you…he has something he wants you to do for him I think…”
[7:10pm] • Wren rises to his feet, his lanky form and still attached blanket creating an eerie shadow behind him
[7:10pm] • Wren spits into the fire
[7:11pm] Wren: “I’d rather hang myself, but anything for a warm bed I guess…”
[7:11pm] • Wren looks aroudn and gathers up his few bits an pieces into a bundle he can secure to his back
[7:11pm] GMSeppy: Its fairly obvious that Bovar, thats his name you recall, has been wandering the woods looking for you at least a few hours. He has twigs in his hair and a few scrapes on his hands.
[7:12pm] Wren: “You cold kid?”
[7:12pm] • Wren hands Bovar his blanket
[7:12pm] GMSeppy: “T-thankyou Wren…” He takes the blanket gratefully and puts it around his shoulders.
[7:13pm] GMSeppy: “Um, I got a bit lost wandering looking for you…you know the way back to grandfathers right?”
[7:13pm] Wren: (I have to roll, right?"
[7:13pm] GMSeppy: (orienterring, go for it:D)
[7:14pm] GMSeppy: (if you fail you’ll wander around for a while before getting out of the woods)
[7:14pm] GMSeppy: (only ob1)
[7:14pm] Wren: !roll 2d6
[7:14pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 6, 5,
[7:15pm] GMSeppy: Turns out you know exactly where you are and the fastest way back to your grandfathers farmhouse.
[7:17pm] • Wren grabs Bovar by the shoulders, steers him in the opposite direction, and heads off at a swift pace to try to get the chill out of his bones
[7:18pm] • Wren picks his way carefully through the woods, avoiding heavy leaf drifts and snowy clearings in favour of the drier (but noisier) twig cover
[7:20pm] • Wren approaches the farmstead with trepidation, a part of him welcoming the chance to see his mother and spend time in a warm house again, and a part of him wanting to run as far from this place as possible
[7:21pm] GMSeppy: Eventually Wren and Bovar emerge from the woods looking out over the faintly gleaming snow covered fields of Piorn Valley, your home. Cutting across snow covered fields and and a few thick thickets before you arrive at the farmhouse.
[7:21pm] GMSeppy: Bovar jogs for the farmhouse door quickly once you are in sight.
[7:22pm] • Wren mutters, “well let’s get this over with… maybe I’ll even get a hot meal out of this…”
[7:22pm] GMSeppy: “I never knew you could take a shortcut through that thicket Wren, thanks!” He coughs nervously. “And uh, good luck with grandfather..”
[7:22pm] GMSeppy: Bovar opens the door and darts inside.
[7:23pm] • Wren pats Bovar on the back, “You’re a good lad. Stay out of trouble so you don’t grow up like me”
[7:23pm] GMSeppy: Bovar gives you a quick grin before he dissapears.
[7:23pm] • Wren raises his voice
[7:23pm] Wren: “I’m here”
[7:24pm] GMSeppy: The doorway stands before you, a portal into warmth and gloom all at once.
[7:24pm] • Wren takes a deep breath and steps in
[7:25pm] GMSeppy: “Then come inside, and close the door youngster. Stop letting the warmth out like a fool.” Says a harsh voice from inside.
[7:25pm] • Wren closes the door carefully behind him
[7:27pm] Wren: “What do you want this time?”
[7:28pm] GMSeppy: Its fairly warm inside, testament to the fire on the hearth in the large living room. A pair of padded chairs dominate the room along with a low table. Sat in one of the chairs, hunched and with a hook like nose on his leather face sits your grandfather. He eyes you coldly.
[7:28pm] GMSeppy: “Mind your manners boy. I’ve let you into my home. Which some might say is more than you deserve.”
[7:30pm] • Wren gives his grandfather an icy stare, but says nothing, slowly approaching the chair opposite him
[7:30pm] GMSeppy: “As for what I want from you…” He pauses and thinks a moment then mutters under his breath. “I want you to be worth a damn.”
[7:31pm] GMSeppy: After a moment he continues. “Something wild came down from the mountains and has been killing my sheep.”
[7:31pm] Wren: “Something wild?”
[7:31pm] GMSeppy: “Since all it seems you do is hunt and fool around I thought you could put your time to good use.”
[7:32pm] GMSeppy: “A small bear or maybe a large cat. I haven’t seen it, fool farm hands can hardly agree on what it looks like.”
[7:32pm] GMSeppy: “All I know is I have half a dozen sheep dead the last week.”
[7:33pm] Wren: “Oh, so the shepherds ran away then? Figures. And what if I kill it?”
[7:34pm] GMSeppy: He stares at you for a few long moments then grimaces and says. “If you kill it…Your mother has persuaded me to let you stay around the farm for a while. To see if you can do some honest work.”
[7:35pm] • Wren grimaces at the bitter-sweet opportunity
[7:35pm] GMSeppy: His gaze hardens. “On grace only. If you fool around or ruin any of my crops or livestock you’ll be out on your ear before you’re done with the deed!”
[7:37pm] GMSeppy: “Well, boy?”
[7:38pm] Wren: “You know I’ve no interest in your crops and livestock. I’ll do it. But I expect to be paid for the work I do around here. I can’t survive on nothing.”
[7:39pm] GMSeppy: He grunts noncommital.
[7:40pm] GMSeppy: “Well then. You best be off soon hadn’t you boy? I don’t want to lose any more livestock to the beast.”
[7:40pm] Wren: “Where was it last seen? I’ll need to find it before the snow freshens”
[7:40pm] GMSeppy: “Last sighting was on the north-west field, closest to the woods.”
[7:41pm] Wren: “Right. Oh and before I forget, I brought back some fresh meat.”
[7:41pm] • Wren pulls a package out of his pack and puts it on a nearby bench
[7:42pm] Wren: “I’ll be off then.”
[7:42pm] GMSeppy: The old man grunts again and looks at the meat, a touch eagerly.
[7:42pm] GMSeppy: “Don’t let the door hit you on your way out.”
[7:43pm] • Wren hurries out of the house, glad to be out of the tense atmosphere
[7:43pm] GMSeppy: You find your way to the field fairly easily, now to see if you can find any evidence of the beast.
[7:44pm] • Wren heads for the north-west field at a light jog, hoping to beat the clouds that are already choking away the morning light
[7:44pm] GMSeppy: (roll that thar tracking skill, feel free to FoRK in hunting if you want)
[7:45pm] Wren: !roll 4d6
[7:45pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 2, 4, 5, 2,
[7:47pm] GMSeppy: After poking around for a while you come across a set of tracks near the edge of the field closest to the mountains and the westwood. From the looks of them it is a mountain cat of some sort. Not to large, but must be winter starved to be down here.
[7:49pm] • Wren follows the tracks, taking care not to make too much noise or scare the local wildlife
[7:50pm] Wren: !roll 4d6
[7:50pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 6, 4, 1, 6,
[7:52pm] GMSeppy: You follow after the tracks for a hour or two, they headed straight into the westwood and then into the foothills of the nearby ever-white mountains.
[7:52pm] • Wren follows into the mountains, getting slowly more edgy
[7:52pm] GMSeppy: You ghost through the tree’s, fairly silently as you stalk the large cat.
[7:53pm] GMSeppy: !roll 4d6
[7:53pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 5, 1, 3, 5,
[7:53pm] Wren: !roll 5d6
[7:53pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 4, 3, 5, 2, 3,
[7:54pm] GMSeppy: !roll 4d6
[7:54pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 4, 3, 3, 6,
[7:54pm] GMSeppy: !roll 1d6
[7:54pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 1,
[7:56pm] GMSeppy: You keep on for half an hour or so as you get into the foothills. Silently moving along, keeping a wary eye out for your prey.
[7:56pm] GMSeppy: Then, suddenly you spot the cougar as it comes out from behind a few trees, not very far from you at all. The bad thing for you it seems, is that the cougar spotted you at the same moment.
[7:58pm] GMSeppy: (and now it is time foorrrrr….RANGE AND COVER, COVER COVER!)
[7:58pm] • Wren raises his bow protectively in front of him, an arrow hitting the string and being drawn even as he does so
[7:58pm] GMSeppy: The cougar growls and stalks to attack.
[7:59pm] GMSeppy: Wren see’s the cougar BEFORE it spots him.
[7:59pm] GMSeppy: I’ll give you a free bowshot at it.
[8:00pm] GMSeppy: also I’ll roll its steel since it’ll be surprised by you
[8:00pm] Wren: hehehe
[8:00pm] GMSeppy: !roll 5d6
[8:00pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 3, 6, 2, 6, 6,
[8:00pm] GMSeppy: !roll 3d6
[8:00pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 5, 4, 1,
[8:01pm] Wren: !roll 3d6
[8:01pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 1, 5, 2,
[8:02pm] GMSeppy: Wren’s shot goes a little wide of the cougar and hits the tree beside it.
[8:02pm] GMSeppy: Now into range and cover!
[8:02pm] GMSeppy: But my cougar is heisitating for 3 actions :(
[8:09pm] Wren: !roll 6d6
[8:09pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 3, 3, 1, 4, 6, 2,
[8:09pm] Wren: !roll 4d6
[8:09pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 6, 1, 3, 3,
[8:10pm] GMSeppy: A second arrow skitters off into the bushes
[8:10pm] Wren: !roll 6d6
[8:10pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 4, 2, 4, 1, 1, 3,
[8:10pm] Wren: !roll 4d6
[8:10pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 3, 6, 4, 3,
[8:11pm] GMSeppy: Wren’s third shot finds its mark!
[8:12pm] Wren: !roll d6
[8:12pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 5,
[8:13pm] GMSeppy: Thew arrow buries itself in the cougars chest with a wet thunk!
[8:14pm] GMSeppy: The cougar yowls in pain and surprise and collapses in a heap, mewling pitifully.
[8:14pm] • Wren takes aim again
[8:15pm] GMSeppy: The cougar only twitches in its sad little heap.
[8:15pm] • Wren dispatches the beast cleanly with a single knife thrust, and scans the surrounding hills carefully for other predators
[8:16pm] GMSeppy: The surrounding woods remain silent but for the wind whispering through the trees.
[8:17pm] • Wren skins the cougar quickly and efficiently, not wanting to waste more time in the hills than he has to
[8:18pm] Wren: !roll 2d6
[8:18pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 4, 5,
[8:19pm] GMSeppy: Wren manages to do a decent job of skinning the animal.
[8:20pm] GMSeppy: The sun sits high in the sky now and it will likley be mid afternoon before you can get back to the farmhouse.
[8:23pm] trevor joined the chat room.
[8:23pm] GMSeppy: lawl
[8:23pm] trevor is now known as Wren_.
[8:24pm] • Wren_ throws the skin over his shoulder and sets off for the farmstead, taking care once again to make as little noise as possible, and keeping an eye out for any other quarry
[8:24pm] You kicked Wren from the chat room. (Wren)
[8:24pm] GMSeppy: !roll 4d6
[8:24pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 4, 1, 5, 1,
[8:25pm] GMSeppy: You spot a deer half-way back to the farmhouse. Near the edge of the forest.
[8:25pm] GMSeppy: !roll 4d6
[8:25pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 3, 3, 1, 1,
[8:26pm] GMSeppy: The deer seems oblivious to you as it nibbles at a bush.
[8:26pm] • Wren_ takes careful aim with his bow, hoping to finish the encounter in one shot
[8:27pm] Wren_: !roll 4d6
[8:27pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 1, 3, 6, 5,
[8:27pm] GMSeppy: The shot hits!
[8:27pm] Wren_: roll d6
[8:27pm] Wren_: !roll d6
[8:27pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 5,
[8:28pm] GMSeppy: The shot takes the deer between the eyes, making it fall to the ground with a thump.
[8:28pm] Wren_: !roll 3d6
[8:28pm] tLegionDicey: tLegionDicey rolls => 5, 5, 1,
[8:29pm] GMSeppy: It only takes you half an hour longer or so to reach the farmhouse with the deer over your shoulder. It wasn’t a particularly large deer it seems.
[8:29pm] • Wren_ throws the deer across his shoulders, and sets off once again, even more careful to avoid the snowdrifts and potholes
[8:30pm] • Wren_ throws open the farmhouse door and strides through heroicly
[8:30pm] GMSeppy: You grandfather eyes you up and down and snorts. “Took you long enough.”
[8:30pm] GMSeppy: (end!)

Comments

Septin

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.